Pinch, punch, first of the month! It’s March 1st today, and what better way to mark it than by reading about these little-known facts and trivia. Some of ’em will surprise ya, that’s for sure!
1) You might’ve noticed that it’s also St. David’s Day today. Wanna know why? Well, it’s because the patron saint of Wales is said to have died on 1st March 589 – some 1,427 years ago, for those of you that are counting. It’s claimed that he lived for over 100 years, which begs the question: what were they putting in the food in Wales!?
2) Today is also *deep breath* World Compliment Day, Pig Day, Plan a Solo Vacation Day, Horse Protection Day, Fruit Compote Day, Share a Smile Day and Peanut Butter Lover’s Day. So there’s quite a lot to remember to celebrate.
3) There are also loads of month-long celebrations going down, such as Women’s History Month, Nutrition Month, National Bed Month, Caffeine Awareness Month and loads loads more. But I think Caffeine Awareness is probably the most important one, so I’ll leave it there.
4) March gets its name, like so many other words, from Roman. It’s derived from Mars, the Roman god of war, and most likely became March because their old battle season tended to start in the Spring.
5) However, in Old English March was referred to as Hlyda or Lide – both of which are a reference to the month’s loud winds. Some things never change!
6) March is also the start of Spring. Hurrah! But did you know that because of this, Britain (not Scotland) used March 25th as the beginning of the New Year right up until 1750? The Calendar Act of that year ensured no more Brits would enjoy a bit of sun in the New Year, though.
7) The weather here in the Northern Hemisphere in March is pretty much mirrored by the Southern Hemisphere in September.
8) Wakey wakey! March is the month of the year where all those
lazy hibernating animals finally wake up from their slumbers and continue going about their daily business – whatever that may be. I wish I could nod off for three months.
9) Not content with hosting the celebration of all things Wales today, March also commemorates the death of the patron saint of Ireland – Saint Patrick – on the 17th. Just like Saint David, he was said to have died on the day that this celebration occurs.
10) Famous birthdays this month include the singer Justin Bieber, actor Daniel Craig and YouTube star Zoella. Click here to see the full list!